WEBROOT Incorporated is a private company that provides Internet security for consumers and businesses. The company is based in Broomfield, CO. Now it has operations in San Mateo, San Diego, Australia, Austria, Germany, Ireland, Japan and United Kingdom.
WEBROOT was founded in 1997 by an entrepreneur by the name of ‘Steven Thomas’. Fast forward to 2012, WEBROOT launched a spyware blocking and removal product called WEBROOT Spy Sweeper. Then they decided to launch “Spy Sweeper with Antivirus in 2006”. The big giant “PC Magazine” has awarded “WEBROOT Secure anywhere” ‘12’ times with Editor’s Choice and Security Product of the year and its highest award given to security and software programs. PC Magazine began testing for 2013; WEBROOT was recognized by PC Magazine staff having the best score in Malware blocking tests, malware removal tests, fast scans, and fast installation.
PC Magazine has rated WEBROOT Secure Anywhere ranked very high, but according to www.toptenreviews.com it is placed # 13th on the chart with reviews and comparisons to other Antivirus manufactures. To clarify the rankings from www.toptenreviews.com. They are only comparing the Antivirus version of WEBROOT Secure Anywhere in which WEBROOT have other products lined up. Enough of that! Let’s move on and test this product for myself.
We will start with the front cover and it is advertised for (3) devices meaning PC or MAC with (1) year subscription. You can purchase online at Amazon for a reasonable price of $19.91 the download version or the physical disc. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=anti+virus+webroot+secure+anywhere
Or you can go down to your local computer store and purchase the CD. There are many ways you can purchase the product online. In my case, I purchased the physical CD online which included one CD ROM disc and the instruction + Product key. WEBROOT Secure Anywhere Antivirus was installed in July 2014 and option to renew in July 2015.
Noteworthy of the product:
- Detects and blocks viruses and malicious behavior.
- Real-time anti-phishing protection.
- Secures your identity and data while online.
- Protects without interruptions and slowdowns.
WEBROOT Secure Anywhere the Antivirus version has limitations, but it is good enough to protect your computer against viruses and online threats. Let’s go down the list of the benefits on the Antivirus version of WEBROOT Secure Anywhere.
- Always-on protection for your data and identify while browsing, shopping, banking and sharing stuff online.
- Set it and forget it – continuous protection without interruptions or slowdowns.
- Warns you about infected websites before you visit them.
- Protects both PC and Mac.
Compatible Operating Systems, going down the list:
- Microsoft Windows XP 32 – and 64 – bit SP2, and SP3.
- Windows Vista 32 – bit (all editions), Windows Vista SP1.
SP2 32 – and 64 bit (all editions).
- Windows 7 32 – and 64 bit (all editions), Windows 7 SP32 – and 64 – bit (all editions).
- Windows 8 32 – and 64- bit.
- Mac OS X v. 10.7.3 ‘LION’.
- Max OS X v. 10.8 “Mountain LION’.
Minimum System Requirements, going down the list:
- Intel Pentium/Celeron family or AMD K6/Athlon /Duron family.
Or other compatible processor.
- 128 MB RAM (minimum). These days, standard RAM at least 1GB.
- 10MB Hard Drive Space.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and higher. My honest opinion, Internet Explorer version 9 is the way to go, since version 11 is what everyone is converting to.
- Mozilla Fire Fox 3.6 or higher (32-bit only).
- Google Chrome browser 10.0 or higher.
- Apple Safari 5.0.1 or higher
- High speed internet access.
The interface is very basic and painless to manage. On the front side, it will let you know the current status of your computer that is protected and it has a button to ‘Scan My Computer’. Click on the ‘Scan My Computer’, it will take you the scanning process searching and remove malicious malware, and viruses. The scan results will provide you automatically:
- Threats detected
- Time elapsed
- Last infected scan
- Active threats
- Files scanned
- Total scans
- Total threats removed
WEBROOT has various different flavors. The Anti-virus Secure Anywhere can do so much more when it comes to surfing the web with their online protection. Below are the lists of the benefits when surfing the web and you are absolutely protected:
Identify Protection prevents threats from accessing your personal data with the following engines:
- Protect cookies and website data
- Prevent man-in-the-middle attacks
- Protect against key loggers
- Protect clipboard data
- Protect browser components from external access
- Prevent man-in-the-browser attacks
- Isolate untrusted browser add-ons from data
- Block browser process modification attempts
- Protect against screen grabbing attacks
- Block suspicious access to browser windows
I’m impressed so far and nothing to complain about at this moment. For the price point of $19.99 depends where you shop and again Amazon.com has the price mentioned above. It performs a lot more than detecting malware and viruses on your computer while surfing the web as well. It covers just about every aspect of your computer system, not bad at all! Hope you enjoy this article and see you next time.