The smartphones are arguably the best inventions of the 21st century. The smartphone allows the user to access virtually all the services from a PC. One of the most important uses of the PC was for e-mail communication, something that is now easily accessible through the smartphone. This article, therefore aims at describing to a user how to set-up email accounts in different operating systems used in smartphones. It is usually a simple procedure for each system, with minor changes done among different OS upgrades over the years. These procedure stated above are sure to Guide to a successful email setup no matter the type of email.
The iOS, like many other of its functionalities, allows one to easily setup an email account as well as a more elaborate procedure for those who would like a more personalized account that captures more details of the email and host.
The mail application allows you to set up an email account directly. It involves a simple procedure for those that use email providers such as Google, Yahoo or iCloud. In such cases, one can simply setup an email account by simply entering their email account and password.
You simply go to settings then select Mail, Contacts, Calendars, where you select your email provider. The choices of email providers are as listed below.
When you select your account from the options displayed on your screen, the following steps follow?
- Enter your email account and password and wait for verification to occur. (Obviously, you need to have an internet connection while you do this).
2. Once your email is verified, you are requested to select the options you want to sync with your account. Select on/off as below to sync your settings. Tap your screen to save the settings.
Setting up Email Manually
In case your email provider is not in the list, you can choose the “Other” option to manually setup an email. You need to know your email settings in order to perform this successfully. However, we shall give an insight into how each step is handled.
Once you choose the Other Option, select add an email account on the next page as shown below.
The next page asks for the name, email address, password and Email description.
After this step, mail will verify account and if it is verified, you just tap o done and the account is setup.
If the account fails to setup, then you have to setup manually using the following procedure:
i. Choose whether the email you are adding is an IMAP or POP email account. If you are not sure, contact the email provider.
ii. Enter the email address, password and email type as required on the page for both the Incoming Mail Server and the Outgoing Mail Server. If you do not have this information, you may contact your mail provider or you can look it up through the search option offered by iOS.
When using a POP email account, you may find the challenge of accessing your services from multiple devices since the server deletes emails once they reach the recipient device. However, you can edit the settings to choose the amount of time you want the emails even after deleting them.
Android users primarily use Google products. Android devices have pre-installed Gmail accounts for their devices. The Gmail account is strictly for Google account holders. It is also used for setting up new accounts using a simple procedure.
- Enter your account name
- Select a unique email address that relates to the names you give. Google offers suggestions for Gmail account addresses.
- Enter a strong password.
- Select the options you want to sync with the account, including the numerous Google products available.
Additionally, being an open-source OS, you can install any mailing app of your choice from the Google Play store. This will make it easy to set up an email whether it is Yahoo, Outlook or any other email provider with an application online. Generally, once you install the app, you may sign in using the procedure above or sign up as you wish. The applications are, however, dependent on the version of android running on your device in order to run as expected.
- If you would like to add a different account, go to setting> manage accounts> add account.
- Next, select the email type, whether it is IMAP, POP3 or SMTP for Microsoft users.
- Enter the email address, password, IMAP/POP3 server and port for your account.
- Ensure you fill in details for your incoming and your Outgoing server settings, including the security type that is requested for SMTP outgoing Server details.
- Ensure your internet connection is reliable for verification of the email account.
In order to setup an Outlook account manually, simply follow the following procedure. First go to Settings> Accounts> Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and accept the default settings that are stated on the page and click next.
- If it fails to connect, check the username, password and server name used and ensure they are all correct.
- Make sure the Use secure connection (SSL) checkbox is checked, then tap next. And wait for an activation request.
- Once it reaches, click okay and set the sync settings you would like.
- Enter details such as account name and click done.
I hope you enjoy this quick setup guide on how to setup email account on your mobile devices. Good, day!